A leading contributor of science and knowledge through discoveries.
Photo courtesy of Tourism Winnipeg / Desirée Rolfe
Below you will find information on Children’s Hospital Research Institute of Manitoba Research Rounds; Pediatric Grand Rounds; upcoming conferences; grant deadlines; and Child Health Research Day.
Please adhere to the following guidelines:
Please include the following sections in your 2 page summary of your research project:
Please submit this by October 2nd 2014 to Debbie Duprey. All proposals will be reviewed by the Pediatric Resident Research Sub Committee.
January 15, 2015
Presenter: Dr. Christopher Mushquash, Ph.D., C.Psych., Assistant Professor in the Department of Psychology at Lakehead University, and the Northern Ontario School of Medicine
Presentation: “Practical strategies for working with first nation youth”
Research Rounds is held Thursdays at noon in Room 500 on the 5th floor of JBRC. A light lunch will be served
Where: Frederic Gaspard Theatre (A), BMSB
Time: 8:00-9:00 am
Topic: Is it time to hang up the stethoscope? A review of the relevance of chest auscultation
1) Understand the physiology and pathophysiology of respiratory sounds
2) Appreciate the challenge of communicating clinical observations
3) Explore the application of new technologies to lung auscultation
Presenter: Dr. Hans Pasterkamp MD, FRCPC, Professor, University of Manitoba; Head, Pediatric Respirology, Children’s Hospital
January 22, 2015
Topic: Procedural Pain in Ambulatory Care: Importance, Best Practice and Progress Report
1) Recognize the importance in child development of early experience with pain and fear associated with medical procedures.
2) Recognize the burden of distress for children in hospital that is produced by painful procedures.
3) Describe evidence-based pharmacological, physical, and psychological methods to prevent and reduce procedure-related pain and fear.
4) Share progress and future plans for a program (supported by Children’s Hospital Foundation) to prevent and reduce procedural pain in outpatients.
Presenters: Carl von Baeyer, PhD, Professor of Clinical Health Psychology; Professor of Pediatrics and Child Health
Maureen MacKay, BN, Nurse Clinician, Clinical Investigation Unit, Children’s Hospital
Nicole Hase-Wilson, BEd, Certified Child Life Specialist, Children’s Hospital
The Centre for Healthcare Innovation will host a Grand Round featuring national experts in the measurement, collection and analysis of patient-reported outcome measures (PROMs): Using Patient-Reported Outcomes in Clinical Practice and Research
For information on Grants and Awards Funding from the Children’s Hospital Research Institute of Manitoba click here.